Tuesday 30 July 2013

Crash, bang, wallop ..













God, I'm boring! There we were, Lesley and I, captivated by an incredible film called 'The Bang Bang Club'. It's about four South African Press photographers and their harrowing/exciting coverage of trouble and strife around the world. If you haven't seen it then I highly recommend it, and not just because it's about photography! Anyway, the film had it all. Blood, death, murder, desolation, despair and - right in the middle of it all - a shot to make it look like the film-goer is seeing the scene through the viewfinder of one of the guy's Nikons. 'Oh, wow...' I piped up 'A microprism and split-screen focussing screen! I've not looked through one of those for ages! Did you know that with 35mm cameras you were able to change the screens depending on....' Lesley cast me a menacing glance! Cut to a scene where the snappers come in off assignment, and one of the 'old hands' gets told to show the new guy the darkroom. 'Oh, man.. ' I started again 'That reminds me of going into so many newspaper offices in the past. Did you know about the time I went to the Sydney Morning Herald and ...' Another glower shut me up in my tracks. Finally, the Picture Editor in the film, a glamorous sex-noodle just like we NEVER had at the Manchester Evening News, tells one of the lads that she never dates photographers. 'You keep awful hours..' she says 'You drink too much .. and you're all crazy!'

'Now that..' growled Lesley 'I DO know!...'

#culchethstudio
www.studiofivefour.com

No comments:

Post a Comment