Tuesday 12 March 2013

Mild or bitter?...



















I gave a talk last night to Salford Photographic Group, and took the opportunity to 'try out' some of my old photographs in front of a new audience. I showed them the 12 photographs in my project 'Boardom', which were all shot on the morning of Valentine's Day, 1993. I'll leave it to you to learn more about them by clicking here if you're intrigued, but it's interesting to see how, 20 years on, so much has changed .. and so much has stayed the same. The theme was recession, closure, downturn .. ring any bells? .. but, as always with a camera, its inescapable ability to capture everything that's in front of it is so much to the fore. There is nothing in this photograph that exists anymore. The pub, The Rovers Return, is long gone, the newspaper in the shot (Ah, you'll have to read the blurb now!) is no longer published .. and even the brewery has closed down! One thing hasn't changed, though. I've yet to get anyone interested in showing this work!

No comments:

Post a Comment