Friday 27 November 2015

The Photographer's Apprentice ..














The phone rang bright and early yesterday and a young lad asked if he could speak to Martin O'Neill. "Wassup?.." I said, in my best 'down wiv de kids' voice. "Hiya, mate!.." he said, blandly "Have you got any apprenticeships in photography?.." Delighted that I was his mate already, and detecting no hint of sarcasm whatsoever in his voice, I politely told him I hadn't. "What area of photography?.." I asked, out of curiousity. "Weddings .." he said "Where the money is!"..

If I'd had an old-fashioned phone I'd have banged it down on the cradle there and then but, this being my mobile and, therefore, requiring me to remove it from my ear, wait for the keypad to illuminate again and then stab the red phone image - none of which I could be bothered with as I was walking home with a bag of shopping - I was forced to carry on the conversation. "I think you'll find it's not as lucrative as you think.." I said, helpfully. "Why not?.." he asked, slightly put out. "Because there are so many people trying to get into it!!" I barked!
I don't think he picked up on the vibe!..

I always used to say that if you had to ask how to be a photographer, then you'd never be one and, Lord bless 'im, I don't think 'my mate' will be challenging me for bookings any time soon..   





No comments:

Post a Comment