Sunday 5 July 2015

Air we go again ..



















A trip back in time today as I head off to the Manchester Air Show at what used to be known as Barton Airport. It's the first one in years and years but when I was growing up it was an annual fixture that was as regular as clockwork. The aerodrome is at the back of the housing estate on which I grew up and, every May, we'd hike across the fields to watch everything from Concorde to The Red Arrows .. and all for free! Our position meant we were on the other side of the airfield to all the paying customers, so we were right under the flight path of everything that displayed on the day. It was probably very dangerous .. but it was great! Here's a shot of the 1977 poster on my bedroom wall. It was a pound to get in! I'm happily splashing out a whole tenner to go on the 'paying' side this afternoon ..

No comments:

Post a Comment