Wednesday 28 August 2013

Download as wallpaper ..







If you're a Joy Division fan you'll have almost certainly seen the Anton Corbijn film 'Control'. It's about the life and times of the band and their lead singer, the late Ian Curtis. Anyway it was, once again, the DVD of choice for Lesley and I over the Bank Holiday although, as usual, she had to plead with me not to cry at the end. I know, I know ..

Much to Lesley's annoyance, though, I still get a kick out of pausing the film when they show the band supposedly playing The Hope and Anchor in London. The top shot is a photograph I took of the screen. Look familiar? Yes, it looks uncannily like my shots from Bowdon Vale, and I'm so flattered! When I went to the film's northern opening at Cornerhouse I met Orian Williams, one of the producers of the film, and he told me that yes, the scene was based on my photographs. Seems the late, great Tony Wilson took him to see my exhibition when it was on at The Rampant Lion pub in South Manchester, and he got his inspiration from my shots! Let's hear it for dodgy wallpaper! ..

(PS: If you'd like to see some of the self-same prints from that Rampant Lion show, they're on at the Deli-Lama cafe in Salford for the next two months!)

#culchethstudio
www.studiofivefour.com

No comments:

Post a Comment