Tuesday 25 June 2013

Those days have gone ..














Here's another of the shots that's going up on the walls of my studio this week. Fun, funky, modern .. permitted! It ties in with something I wanted to tell you about. There's a programme on tv tonight about Vivian Maier, the 'Mary Poppins' of photography who worked as a nanny in Chicago whilst quietly taking thousands and thousands of photographs, simply for herself. She lived in a time when - it seems - she had absolutely no problem in going right up to people on the streets and taking their photograph. "Maier .."  it is said, "disarmed kids and their parents with her camera and was welcome in their world." Well, as you'll have seen from my archive, even I lived in a time when it was absolutely accepted that you could take photographs in the street but, since then, I've already had two episodes of having "Paedo!" shouted at me by young children when I've tried to take their photographs in the recent past, and it's pretty terrifying, I can tell you! So, it's the studio life for me! Kids, yes .. but with their parents firmly in tow and giving their full permission for me to shoot. Sad, eh?...

#culchethportraitstudio

No comments:

Post a Comment