Tuesday 9 April 2013

Bye bye, Marmite..

  
 So that's the end of Marmite Thatcher! You either loved her or you loathed her but one thing's for sure .. you'll never forget her! I had the honour of photographing her twice - either side of her time at Number Ten. I photographed her first when she visited Manchester on her campaign trail in 1979. That was before she'd had her teeth done! She was walking amongst us accompanied by Winston Churchill! No, not that one, his grandson, the Conservative member for Stretford and Urmston! You can just see his receding hairline in the left-hand picture! The second time I shot her (Oops!) was when her premiership was all done and dusted and she'd just published her autobiography in, I think, 1993. I went 'backstage' with her, at Waterstones of all places, and actually asked her for her autograph. She gave it me, too! That's my photo of it in between the portraits. 
So, another 'Great' of our time is gone, but it does make you wonder .. 
Where are our 'Greats' of the future??...

No comments:

Post a Comment