Wednesday 30 January 2013

You weren't there, man...


















I was minded last night of that old Vietnam war saying "If you can remember the sixties you weren't there!" The reason? I was reading the Q magazine '10 Greatest Gigs' list last night, and they've included a gig by The Smiths, which they called 'The Homecoming'. It was at Salford University's Maxwell Hall, on the 20th of July, 1986. "It all came together that night" sayeth John of The Marr. Apparently, when The Smiths came on the mosh-pit transformed instantly into a 'heaving human vortex' and the event was 'so tumultuous' that the floor below the gig suffered serious structural damage. They even had to tie the speakers down with rope to stop them falling on the audience! Man, I'd love to have been at that one! Oh, I was! I went! I saw it all .. except, I can't remember a bloody thing about it! I can remember their gig at the Free Trade Hall, 'cos that's where I shot my iconic - he said, modestly - images of Moz and his gladioli, and I can remember their gig at The Palace Theatre in Manchester, 'cos they came on to that tune from Romeo and Juliet and I was yacking to Kevin Cummins at the front of the stage, but can I remember this Salford gig? Can I buggery! Yet, I was there .. I have my ticket stub! I kept it! (Well, it does say To Be Retained!) Damn, I just wish my memories had been!..

No comments:

Post a Comment