Monday 14 January 2013

Something old, something new..



















Yep, they're all dead! That's what a chap called Dave said when he saw a picture of himself and his old colleagues on the wall of my new exhibition! Yes, it's finally opened and wow, what a brilliant day it was! I broke the record for the number of visitors to the gallery on a single day, and it was incredible to eavesdrop on a few of the conversations going on around the room. People were catching sight of a long-lost grandad, or an old flame, or a neighbour they used to play with in the street and Dave, as I said, saw a photograph of work-mates he last saw 36 years ago. He's pictured as a curly-haired, flare-wearing youngster standing by an old Commer van outside the Dispatch Department of Gardner's Diesels in Eccles. One young lady even managed to identify her old school hall .. by the curtains .. and, although it's inevitable, it was sad to hear of those who aren''t around any more. Me poor old dad included! Still, I couldn't have been more happy with the way the exhibition was received, and I really enjoyed kicking off the side-project of re-photographing people who were in original shots. Dave and Arthur here were two of my first 'models'! We even had the first of our 'live' theatrical performances, with actors Elaine and Dave (Another one!) giving us a really funny rendition of how a conversation about the seventies might go! So, we're off! We're up and running and you've got a month to come down and see what it's all about!

It's called Salford, down the line! and it's at Eccles Community Art Gallery every Tuesday and Saturday until February 9th. I've also started a Facebook Group for people who want to see more of the shots! My project Twelve for '13 will showcase about 80 shots a month on Flickr, and the page will help me get the word out to anyone who's keen on documentary photography.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent exhibition and generating lots of interest. I was run off my feet in the gallery today looking after the numerous visitors. Well worth a visit people.

    ReplyDelete