Monday 10 September 2012

Our Soul ..



















Sorry to start the week with a rant but....

I shot a Wedding on Saturday and - do you know what? - it was damn near the perfect day! The couple were gorgeous, the weather was fantastic, the venues were great, the crowd was really up for a laugh and, even though I had a rather long list of group shots to get through, it all went to time and  everyone played ball to get the shots done .. except for the vicar! To cut a long story short, he wouldn't let me take any photographs during the vows! Yep, you heard me right, folks! Welcome to the Middle Ages! Now, I always introduce myself to the presiding clergy or registrars before a Wedding, just to clarify where I can go and what I can shoot during the service and, normally, it's no problem, although last week's registrar wouldn't let me shoot the actual register signing. "It's illegal.." she said, talking b*llocks! Anyway, I went to talk to the vicar on Saturday to ask him the same questions, and that's when he told me I couldn't take any shots during the vows. "It's a very important moment in the couple's Wedding.." he said. What? So important it can't be recorded for posterity? "It's a sacrament.." he continued "A very important part of the ceremony.." Yes? And? I mean, come on, I'm a Catholic! I understand and respect all the sacraments. I wouldn't do anything to cause offence or disruption and hey, that's what that Q setting's for on the camera (Quiet, now that you ask!) He was having none of it. "Stay at the back of the church.." he smirked "..and I'll invite the couple to turn round so that everyone can take a photograph. After that, it's cameras away!" Well, you can see what happened from today's picture! Cheers, Reverend! Thanks for bleedin' nothing! Jeez, even the aborigines have wised up to the fact that photographs don't actually capture your soul!"

No comments:

Post a Comment