Tuesday 11 September 2012

Oh, the sauce...










I was watching the Colin Firth film 'A Single Man' last night, and in it Julianne Moore comes out with a line that could have been made for me.

"Living in the past.." she purred ".. is my future!"

I'm kinda feeling like that at the moment, what with all the interest in my archive photography and all, and with that in mind I was interviewed on camera yesterday for the community news website Salford Online. I'll be uploaded and 'live' by tomorrow I believe but, don't worry, I'll let you know soon as, 'cos I know you're dying to see it!! Tony Flynn - one of the go-to names for the history of Salford and Eccles - was the man asking the questions, and I was really flattered that he liked my work as much as he did.

Thinking about it though, it struck me that Wedding Photography must be one of the only areas in which you are deliberately making memories! There's no reason to take photographs on these occasions other than to record what people actually looked like at a certain time. That's why I feel the shots should be taken sincerely, to capture what really happened at that specific time. It's fine if you want to throw on a posh frock and pretend you're a photoshopped, blurry, yellow-tinted model, but do it another day 'cos, trust me, it won't be too long before any way you're shot on your Wedding Day will start to look vintage!

Today's two shots were taken 30 years apart! They're of a Chinese Chip Shop in Peel Green. It was once the Chop Suey House, now it's the Jade Garden. My dad used to work in the factory that you can see in the picture on the left. It was once Regent Rubber, now it's a patch of waste ground! I once really liked Beef in Black Bean sauce, now I prefer Special Fried Rice! I'm rambling! Laters.....

No comments:

Post a Comment