Thursday 9 August 2012

When I were a lad...













Eyeballs boggled, scanner in melt-down .. and scores of negatives still to go! Big tidy-up in the office the other day, and I found a box of negs from years ago. Well, I say found .. I didn't actually know I'd lost them but, oh boy, what a treasure trove of memories from my past! So, I've been hard at the Epson getting a start on scanning in the beauts, though I can see this'll be more a job for those dark winter afternoons when every man just has to have a project! I couldn't wait to see 'em, though. I mean, look at the shot in today's blog. It looks like something out of Bert Hardy's 1930s work .. bleak, desolate, drab .. yet this was Salford just over 30 years ago, with one of the last buildings on Salford Docks coming down in the background. (Actually .. still bleak, desolate and drab! Only joking!) If you follow me on Facebook - and if not, then why not?? .. you'll have seen quite a few shots go up over the last couple of days, and it's been great to read the comments from people, many of whom I don't even know. One of the most popular shots has been of this petrol station on Patricroft Bridge, in Eccles. The petrol's up at 37.2p per litre and the baby in the pram'll be in his early thirties!














As I've said before though, that's the wonderful thing about photography. I didn't set out that day to make a picture showing how much petrol cost, but with the lens' all-seeing eye it's there for the record, just as are blasts from the past like Rumbelow's, Woolworth's and poor old Jane Street in Salford, which isn't even on the map anymore! Eh, it's all changed since I were a lad...

No comments:

Post a Comment