Thursday 23 August 2012

Jobs a good 'un..















I'm not usually one for trite 'isms' but one that seems to hold fast is 'Be true to yourself'. I'll come clean and tell you that a quote from that Steve Jobs speech is pinned to my wall, with good ol' Jobbsy staring at me with a challenging frown.

"Have the courage.." he implores me "To follow your heart and intuition"

So why mention this? Well, after a dry spell for enquiries, it's suddenly been a good week for Wedding bookings this week, with three in already by last evening. The thing is - and I've asked them - every one of those couples has gone with me because they like my no-nonsense style. They like the relaxed, informal, genuine approach I offer them, with none of the current sickly style for turning everyone's Wedding into a hammily-staged, time-consuming, purple and yellow, sun-flared, backlit, unsmiling, serious fashion shoot!

However, I'm like everyone else. I keep a close watch on trends, styles and subtle changes in the Wedding Photography market, and every now and again I'll get a little niggle in my head. Should I shoot for the Vintage 'trend'? Should I 'photoshop' every picture to within an inch of its life. Should I seperate the bride and groom from their whole Wedding for an hour's heavy-duty posing? And then it comes back to me. No, I shouldn't! I'm basically a Press Photographer! I shoot reality. I've shot reality since I first took up photography in 1973, so reality is what I'll stick with. Like these punks, who got 'volunteered' to hold my reflector when they were sitting drinking lager under the tree I wanted to use for my pictures, I'll be true to my own values and 'my' market will come to me!

So Cheers Jobbsy, Cheers punks, Cheers you lovely, lovely couples ..


No comments:

Post a Comment