Friday 24 August 2012

Bliss!















Do you remember when I followed you from our house to Worsley .. up the train tracks?! Do you remember the time we went to see Gary Glitter and he walked off the stage half-way through the gig? Do you remember...

Oh, my goodness, this going-back-in-time stuff's getting ever more interesting! I've had a picture library express interest in my archive, and they're going to have a good look through my Flickr stuff next month, and last night I had a drink with a friend I haven't seen in 17 years! We grew up together on Foxhill Road in Eccles, the road seen in this photograph, and the memories of that time just came flooding back. He can remember stuff about me that I'd forgotten all about. I could remember stuff about him that he'd forgotten all about! We listed the people that have died since we last met including, sadly, his mother and brother and my dad. We laughed about the fact that all we ever seemed to eat was chips .. cooked in lard, and we shook our heads as we thought about how awful this street is these days.

This photograph is one of the earliest I ever took, probably around '74. It's shot on a Kodak Instamatic - you can see the square 126 format - and it shows my sisters and some of the kids on the street with the Rag and Bone man and his horse! And look, not a car in sight! That van in the background is the bread van - a sort of mobile grocer's shop, and other its visits we were free to run up and down the street all day, playing football and 'Tag' and marbles in the holes in the road!
In fact - apart from Mott The Hoople on the 'wireless' - it was bliss!

No comments:

Post a Comment