Tuesday 6 September 2011

Sheena is...










 ..a punk rocker!



I was working with a lady called Sheena the other day. You don't meet many girls called Sheena, do you? Trouble is, ever since then I can't get the flippin' Ramones out of my head! ('Sheena is a punk rocker' was one of the American band's early tracks, just in case you're completely lost at this point! 1977! Good grief!) Anyway, it tied in nicely with an old Kodachrome slide I found in my files recently. This was taken at one of the old 'Futurama' punk festivals in either Leeds or Stafford at the beginning of the Eighties. It reminded of a gig I went to in Houston, in 1982. (The Minutemen, if you're interested!) I saw the drummer of the band, sitting out amongst the crowd, chillin' with the chicks, and excitedly asked if he had any badges I could buy. He just gave me a really dirty look and turned back to chatting with his admirers. It was only when I got home and played one of their albums I realised they actually had a track called 'Badges'. It's 31 seconds long, and the entire lyrics of the song are "We have no badges! We don't need no badges! We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Whoops!

No comments:

Post a Comment