Saturday 2 July 2011

What an honour!...

Being a photographer, like wot I am, I'm often asked if I've ever met anybody famous! Er! Yes!!!! Kinda comes with the territory, especially if you work for the press! I was once, actually, the official photographer to HM Our Liz, when I got the gig as the only photographer to cover the Queen at an event in Hyde Park. (Back in the days of film, too, so I must be good Ho hum!) Anyway, yes, of course I've had the privilege of meeting many a famous face, like George Best, Maggie Thatcher and Muhammad Ali, all of whose autographs I asked for, and got, but the person I most get a kick out of being able to say I've met is this chap here....

Andre Kertesz!

Answers on a postcard?  He's one of my most favourite photographers of all time! Now he was a great photographer, and it would have been his birthday today if he were still alive. Happy Birthday, Mr Kertesz!  I remember looking at his work when I started to get interested in photography, way back in the mid-seventies, and couldn't believe the day he was actually sitting in front of me, smiling for my shot! (This was on his 90th birthday, by the way, hence the cake! The 'photograph' in icing on top is a copy of a self-portrait he shot in 1927!) He was in Bradford, at the Museum of Photography, to launch a collection of his work, and Henri Cartier-Bresson, when asked to select a favourite picture of Andre's for the accompanying book said "I choose the next picture coming out of his camera"

Well, obviously, those pictures have stopped coming, but if you don't know of him, I urge you to take some time to discover the ones that did come out of his camera! You will come away feeling relaxed, peaceful and happy that someone with such an sweet eye ever existed!  

No comments:

Post a Comment