Thursday 10 February 2011

The Fame Game
















Now here's a nice picture of Meryl Streep for you. Oh, no...it's really Maggie! I thought the resemblance was striking! (Streep's playing Thatcher in a film, if you're still baffled!) I photographed Our Maggie for the Press way back in 1978, whilst she was still 'trying' to become Britain's first lady PM. I shot her a few years later at a private event in Manchester. Now it doesn't matter what you think of her politics..long silence..but you have to admit she's famous! So, I did what I always do when there's someone 'BIG' standing in front of me...I asked for her autograph..and she gave it me! She wrote "To the best photographer in the world, love Mags!" No, she didn't..she just signed her name, and it still sits nicely in my little book next to signatures fom heroes like Mohammed Ali, George Best and Morrissey. Funny old thing, fame, isn't it. My pal doesn't get it, but I love the fact that I've met these amazing people, and I suppose the autograph is literally the proof that I did so. It has to be in person, though. For example, I have a book signed by the great photographer Joel Meyerowitz. Fair enough, but it's just a signed book. It wasn't me that got it. Now I find that the great man is giving a talk soon in Derby. I could meet him and get his autograph, but  I've got a Wedding Fayre* on the same day. Aaaagh, what to do?  Guess I'll just have to wait until he's back in the UK! At least another great snapper, the fab Terry O'Neill, is now following me on Twitter!

Fame!

*Commercial Break...The Wedding Fayre is at the Park Royal Hotel, Stretton, Cheshire on March 6th...See ya there?

No comments:

Post a Comment