Friday 15 September 2023

My cap is doffed ..

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The keen-eyed amongst you may have noticed I've been trying to plug some of my photography books. (I hope I'm not getting boring, but they really are a big thing in my life at the moment.) There are currently six photo-books in my 'Wrong Way Wround' series, featuring archive photographs from the 1970s and 80s, and that number is certain to rise ..

The photography world likes 'themes'. It wants photographers to have worked on a 'project', explored a concept, visually probed something that is new to them. (Even if that's just empty spaces in car-parks!) It gives the photographer a weight, a seriousness, makes them 'legitimate'. My work is none of that .. it's just me, wandering around with my camera, 'learning' how to be a photographer. Doesn't make the work any less interesting though (in my humble opinion), so it was encouraging to read a new review of the photographs by renowned Salford historian Tony Flynn. He said "I can honestly say they are poignant, hilarious, touching and even a great social document that captures what was a less stressful time", and added "Martin O'Neill you have done a fantastic job capturing those days. My cap is doffed." 

There's nothing left to add other than a link to help you buy your copies ..



No comments:

Post a Comment