Tuesday 5 January 2016

Time ..



















And so to my rant!..

A young chap rang me a few weeks ago, asking if I had any need of an apprentice at my studio. He was 18, he said, and really keen on getting into a career in photography. Well, that question is one I'm asked quite often but, for some reason - probably that cheery Christmas spirit of mine - I decided I'd invite him in and have a look at his portfolio. You never know, I thought to myself, he could be really handy as a second snapper at a Wedding. We arranged a date between Christmas and New Year and I duly went over to the studio to open up for his 10am appointment. He didn't turn up! Now I'm a stickler for punctuality so, to be honest, the fact that he wasn't there at 10 meant he'd already blown it, but by quarter to 11 I'd had enough, and rang him up to ask his whereabouts. I had to wait on the phone whilst his sister got him out of bed!..

So there you go! That's my rant! What is it with kids today? Ok, not all of them! Ok, just him! I just can't believe he blew a chance like that. By 18 I was already working on a newspaper because I was so bloody crazy about photography, and I'd have jumped at an opportunity like his. In fact, when I used to work at a factory as a spotty 17 year old I would always find out when a retirement party was being held, because it meant a photographer from the Eccles Journal would be coming along to take a picture for the paper, and I'd get a chance to grill him on the ins and outs of press photography!..

Anyway, I thought this shot from last week's Wedding illustrated my point perfectly. The bride had listed my arrival on her hand-written itinerary. It was rather important that I arrived on time! I can only hope that's a lesson this young chap might learn ..

No comments:

Post a Comment