Friday 19 July 2013

Set in my ways? ..













I have absolutely no reason to show you this picture today other than I really like it! I reckon I took it in about 1978 and it sort of reminds me of the August Sander 'Faces of our time' portraits from the 1920s. Good honest grafters, captured for posterity by an artist. I know it's one of my old bugbears but it feels more and more like people don't appreciate photography as 'working'! The 'anyone can do it' ethos seems to be hardening. (Yes, there's my cement connection .. forgive me!) Yesterday a lady came into the studio and told me her grandson was a Wedding photographer. I asked if he was busy. "Oh.." she said, mildly horrified "He's got a job, as well!"..

That came about an hour before I was turned down for a job by a company who'd budgeted to pay less than half the amount I'd quoted for a shoot almost 100 miles away! And that on top of a lady who wanted to book me for a birthday party this Saturday - two hours work, all post-production and a CD of all images .. and pay me fifty quid! On the plus side, I've made a great connection with a fashion importer, of all things, and there are great vibes that I'll soon be shooting all their new ranges for their website. Fashion, eh? Who says I'm set in  my ways? ..

#culchethportraitstudio
www.studiofivefour.com

No comments:

Post a Comment