Tuesday 18 December 2012

Call me...













This is a blog that I'm going to Tweet and put on Facebook about an email I sent to a chap on Linked- In because, for the first time ever, networking on the 'Social Meeja' has worked! After days, weeks, months and probably a couple of years now, I've finally got a PR job directly from t'internet! My name has been sent round an office after I 'linked' with the MD of a PR company and, at last, an account handler has picked up on it and booked me to shoot a job this morning. The irony is, the job's for a company I worked for for years but, as with all these things, contact was lost as staff moved on. All it would have taken, in 'the old days', was a quick phone call and a trip into their Manchester office with a great big smile and a little book of cuttings. You know the sort of thing ... this is me, that's my work, what do you think?

Of course, you can't beat 'word of mouth', and that's how I got a Wedding enquiry from a bride who's getting married next August. A snapper pal of mine put her on to me after she rang his studio. That man he don't do Weddings, you see! Thing is, a full week after her initial email, I still hadn't heard back from this girl, so I thanked my friend but sadly had to tell him that his recommendation had come to naught. "But you're already booked on that date, aren't you?" he asked. No, I said, I wasn't. Apparently she'd told him she thought I was booked, as she hadn't heard anything from me since her initial email. Turns out all my emails to her had gone straight into her Junk folder, and she hadn't bothered to follow up her enquiry and has now booked a different photographer.
 Oh, for the days of phone calls....

No comments:

Post a Comment