Friday 4 December 2009

Getting old !
















I was invited the other day to give a talk..on photography!...to pupils at my old school, St.Pat's, in Eccles.
Bloody hell....made me realise it's 33 years since I was last in my old classroom...THIRTY THREE YEARS!!!...
And of course I was talking to 13 year olds who didn't have the foggiest idea of half the stuff I was rambling on about...Film? Margaret Thatcher?...Sigh....All I can hope is that I inspired maybe one of them to get into this fab life. I know that by the age of 13 I had already decided I wanted to be a photographer...and I pursued it greedily, despite the fact that my Careers teacher's hugely encouraging words to me at the mention of this ambition were "Be realistic!".....

As a matter of interest to all 13 year olds currently reading this..(??)...I then went on to FAIL to get onto a full-time Press Photography course because one of my O-Levels wasn't of high enough grade. By then I'd already worked for a newspaper for two years..(in a job I was then technically unqualified to do..I love that fact!) Thank God I didn't listen to that Careers teacher!!

No comments:

Post a Comment