Friday 25 January 2019

Party like it's 1981 ..













A diary in surprisingly good condition tells me that last night, as it were - January 24th - in 1981, I went to see The Revillos at Manchester University. It also tells me that, on January 15th, I went to see The Fall at a Manchester club called Rafters. On the 20th it was Toyah at Manchester Polytechnic - The Poly - where I also saw U2 on Feb. 27th. Before February was out I'd also seen The Passions (pictured), The Modettes, John Cooper-Clarke, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Bad Manners, The Drones, The Expressos, The UK Subs and The Freshies. No wonder I was always skint! But what an incredible line-up and I'll forever offer thanks to the Great God of The Snare Drum that I was the perfect age at the perfect time for such a musical feast ..

It brings tears to my eyes to venture further into this diary. The Pretenders, The Go-Go's, Jools Holland, Girls at our best, The Passions (again!), Cabaret Voltaire, Wall of Voodoo, a two-day Futurama festival in Stafford featuring about 30 bands including Simple Minds, Flock of Seagulls, Theatre of Hate and Bauhaus (I really must find the playlist). Then there was B-Movie, Altered Images, The Photos (Yes, I know .. the perfect name for a band for me), Split Enz, The Tubes, Modern Eon, The Cramps, Bill Nelson, Toyah (again), U2 (again), Pauline Murray, Squeeze, Spizzles, Department S, Bow Wow Wow, Gang of Four, New Musik, Discharge, The Revillos (again) and .. how could I forget? .. The Surgical Supports ..

Actually, I have forgotten them! Sorry lads ..  

No comments:

Post a Comment