Friday 1 July 2016

Strange times ..


















A chap who 'reads me' on a regular basis emailed yesterday to say "I love reading your blogs. They are a great lift - just like a daily Giles cartoon" ..

That statement gave me a great lift, as I'd just come back from the funeral of my pal, who died suddenly aged 68. I wasn't feeling at my chirpiest. Thankfully Boris Johnson then provided another reason to be happy by ditching his plan to run for Number Ten, although can I say 'Thanks very much BoJo, for leading us into this sh*t heap and then sodding off"..

However, no sh*t heap on earth is ever going to compare with The Somme. These poppies blossomed, right on cue, in our garden this week and, as I watched the commemoration of 'Zero Hour' this morning - tears rolling down my cheeks - I could only nod my thanks to everyone who fought in the trenches and realise that, whatever happens in Europe from now on, it will never be as bad as it was then ..

You have to have optimism ..

No comments:

Post a Comment