Wednesday 19 August 2015

When will I be famous? ..
















Shirley Baker is getting a lot of attention for her photography at the moment, and quite rightly, too. It's a shame she died last year! However, she's posthumously packin' 'em in at The Photographers' Gallery in London, and has featured in The Guardian and Daily Mail in the last couple of days. Her photographs, though - of children playing in the road, women chatting on street corners, men 'loitering' as she calls it in her exhibition title  - remind me a lot of ..

Erm ...

Ah, yes! My photographs! Yes, I see lots of similarities between our work - the only difference being I was shooting all of my archive from the tender age of fifteen and sixteen years old and hadn't specifically set out to record a 'passing era'! I've made a little montage in tribute to Shirley, who I met once many moons ago and a lovely lady she was, too. You can click on it to see a larger set of images. My photographs are now represented in London by the same Picture Library that looks after Shirley's work and I hope I don't sound too churlish but I do hope my work gets a little recognition in the coming years, too. Ok, I'm jealous, and perhaps patience is a virtue, after all. Bear in mind another of my snapper heroes, André Kertesz, didn't gain recognition for his photography until he was well into his latter years..

I'll just have to wait and, yes, of course I'll remember you when I'm famous!...

No comments:

Post a Comment