Friday 7 August 2015

The past! It's the future ..


















Today is Day Two of the four-day Rebellion Punk Festival in Blackpool and I wouldn't have minded going but, bloody hell, as much as I love punk music I don't think even I could stand four solid days of it. That's ok though 'cos, tomorrow, I'm going to see The Tubes, on their .. wait for it .. Fortieth Anniversary Tour! Yes, I think it's definitely true to say my musical taste is well and truly rooted in the past. I think I've reached a point in my life where all the music I'll ever know and love is filed - alphabetically, of course - on the shelves in my music room. Don't get me wrong, I'd dearly love some new band or breakthrough sound to blow me away but, from the heady heights of 55 - my birthday's on Tuesday should you wish to send chocolate or Jack Daniel's - all I hear is derivations of the music I loved the first time around. Well, derivations and utter crap! I've written before how it depresses me that a 20 year old today would think Sam Smith or Ella Henderson are 'good' music and I want to slap 'em with a wet haddock and ram some UK Subs or Jeff Buckley down their earoles..

Still, each to their own and anyway, I can't hear your protestations with my speakers turned up this high. I'll just leave you with a shot from my old press photography cuttings. I saw this geezer at a gig back in the early 90s, when the sight of a mohican was almost as much of a shock as it was the first time around. I loved the needles of hair, spiked up with flour and God knows what, and imagined him tending to it with a comb like this! The chap - Lionel, by the way! - was only too happy to go along with my idea and I would like to think that, as with me and The Tubes tomorrow, he and his spikes will be pogoing like buggery at Rebellion..

The past! It's the future ..

No comments:

Post a Comment