Monday 18 May 2015

Love tore him apart ..


















The clock-tower on the skyline is the church where it will all happen today. Every single one of Joy Division's songs will be performed at Christ Church in Macclesfield to celebrate the life of Ian Curtis, the band's lead singer, who committed suicide exactly 35 years ago today..

Peter Hook, the band's former bass player, has taken up the challenge of playing something like 48 songs over the space of almost four hours as a way to mark the occasion and to raise money for charity. I wish him well! (You can listen to him talking about it on Radio 4 this morning .. go to I hr 47 mins) For my part, I will be documenting the day and trying to replicate some of the shots I took of 'Hooky' at the Bowdon Vale gig over 36 years ago! Visitors from all over the world will be converging on Ian's home town of Macclesfield today, and I'm going to cover as much as I can of the event - from what I'm sure will be large numbers visiting Ian's memorial stone in the cemetery to Kevin Cummins' talk about his iconic shots of the band and, of course, the massive gig this evening at the church. I'm then going to create a Flickr album for everyone to view the work and, if anyone wants to download images, I'm going to donate 50% of the fee to the charities..

What a poignant day .. 

No comments:

Post a Comment