Thursday 28 May 2015

Forget-Me-Not ...













It occured to me yesterday that the lovely little blue flowers surrounding Ian Curtis' headstone are Forget-Me-Nots. Isn't that incredible? In a shot taken on the 35th anniversary of his death he's surrounded by Forget-Me-Nots!
How appropriate!..

There were a couple of other nice little Joy Division touches yesterday, too. I popped back to Macclesfield to put up some of my prints from Hooky's recent 'So this is Permanence' gig at Christ Church and, as soon as I got on the train, I plugged in my ipod and hit Play. First song that came on? Joy Division's 'Twenty four hours'. First line of that song? 'So this is Permanence'...! Eeeek....!

Second thing? A rather frail-looking old lady walked into the gallery as I was up the ladder hanging prints. She must be lost, I thought to myself but, no, she asked where the Ian Curtis exhibition was and Julie, the exhibitions organiser, led her into the room showing my pictures. Turns out the lady was Ian Curtis' primary school teacher and taught him when he was nine years old! How fantastic!..
Her abiding memory of him? "Very quiet and very clever"..

Now I didn't ask, but she volunteered her age. She said she was 78, so we're talking probably 48 years since she last saw Ian. She hasn't forgotten!..

No comments:

Post a Comment