Tuesday 20 January 2015

Before the Fall ..













A Channel 4 programme last night highlighted perfectly the dangers of thinking you can make a living from photography just because it's your "passion". They featured a guy - somewhere in Manchester, I believe - who decided to ditch his day job and set up as a snapper. He was filmed photographing a local band with what seemed to be the most amateur of camera models (Ooh, get me! I'm a camera snob now!) Anyway, seems he really liked photography as a hobby so thought he would earn some dosh from it. Big mistake! The programme went on to tell us that, in the past eight months, this guy's earned the sum total of .. £250!! Ouch! I do hope that set off alarm bells with some of the people who've contacted me over the past few months asking for advice about a career in photography, 'cos my advice is, unfortunately .. don't do it! There are now too many people 'giving it a go', causing standards - and prices - to drop and meaning there's far less work around for the ever-growing number of photographers already out there. I thought a photograph of 'The Fall' would be rather appropriate today ..

No comments:

Post a Comment