Monday 13 January 2014

Fleeting ..













Last week I was given a photograph to retouch. A lady, smiling, sitting at a table in a restaurant. Possibly from the 80s. (Not this photograph! This is a shot from my own archives. For illustrative purposes only, as they say!) Anyway, the occasion was obviously one of those 'special' times when you had a snapshot taken - out on a 'do', dressed up, looking nice. The picture itself is out of focus, the 5"x3" print bent and ripped but, don't worry, it's come up alright and I've just printed out a nice 10x8 for the customer. Now, I don't know why this particular photograph needed copying but, of course, you assume the worst, unfortunately, and it occured to me that this lady - her generation - must surely be the last to have so few photographs taken of themselves. I mean, this scratchy, blurred one-off 'capture' (To use the modern term! Ugh...) is patently the best her family can come up with by way of a memory, and I find that really sad. So, get your phones out, folks! Get snapping. Take those selfies! Shoot those parties! Just don't lose the bloody memory cards...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment