Friday 11 October 2013

Dear Mr O'Neill ..


















I may have shown you this before. In which case, my apologies! What repetition! What lack of inventiveness! What? You're showing it again? Hey, it's my blog!..
 I might even show it next year, so watch it!..

It's a letter from Eddy Shah, of (eventual) Today newspaper fame - dated 11th October 1978 - telling me I'd got my first ever job as a newspaper photographer, on the Sale and Altrincham Messenger! Dear Mr O'Neill! Man, I cannot tell you how good it felt to get that letter! At last I was a real photographer .. on forty five pounds a week! With a free motor-bike and driving lessons thrown in! (Ok, I could have done without the motor-bike!) But this was the letter that set me on my way! Two years out of school and I was finally getting my dream job! I've never looked back - as you know - and I've never forgotten my first day on the job, photographing the Captain of Manchester United!! God! Well, Martin Buchan, in the flesh! I'd have paid forty five quid for the privilege!!

See, that's the thing! How many people get their dream job .. at 18 years old? And how many people are still doing it .. 35 years on? I am one lucky buggalugs, I am but don't worry .. I never forget that! Happy 11th of October, everybody...


No comments:

Post a Comment