Tuesday 30 April 2013

Copywrong!..














Do you like any of my photographs? I'm so glad to hear to it! Then, by all means, help yourself! Copy them, take them, use them as you please because I'm afraid, if the Government gets its way, that's what you'd soon be able to do without thought of paying me a penny for the privilege. Their 'Orphan Works' act, which has just been passed, will mean that any photograph on the internet might be fair game for free useage as long as a 'diligent search' for the Copyright owner has taken place. Diligent search? You mean, you looked for metadata but it had all been removed? Ah, that's ok, carry on! And all this in the name of making 'the UK's enterprise culture one of the best places to do business' ...! Well, I'm sorry, but my business is selling photographs, so thank you, gorgeous government, for just removing my ability to earn a living! But don't think this just applies to professionals. If you put any image online there's a chance it might suddenly appear .. well, anywhere! .. and used by anyone for whatever purpose they like! I've watermarked my internet images for quite a while now but, you can rest assured, the ©opyright logo will be a lot bolder on them from now on...

No comments:

Post a Comment