Monday 7 January 2013

War! What is it good for?...



















Go and see 'McCullin', the film about renowned war photographer Don McCullin. Bravery, modesty, artistry, humanity and sheer, utter professionalism are what you'll see when you go. That and some of the most powerful proof you'll ever need of how awful mankind is to its brothers and sisters. We went yesterday. One of the 'wars' in Don's life was the conflict in Northern Ireland - he went there for The Observer in 1971 - and guess what was on the front page of yesterday's Observer. An image from the 'war' in Belfast! Police being shot at on the streets of The UK this weekend - forty two years after Don's first images. The sad thing is that he admits that his war photography doesn't change a thing. On a lighter note, he came to Waterstone's in Manchester in 1992 to launch his amazing autobiography, and I dutifully queued to have my copy signed by 'the master'. After a brief chat when it was 'my turn', he looked at me and said "Do you know, you're the first person I've spoken to tonight that's got a Northern accent!"

A kid 'shooting' over a pew in church. That's as close as I ever want to get to war, and it's yet another of the images from my archive. If it's of any interest, I've started a Facebook group to try to promote the Twelve for '13 project.
I'd love it if you joined...

No comments:

Post a Comment