Monday 8 October 2012

On the horizon..

I can't ever remember using the digital zoom on my little Nikon Coolpix compact - it's normally set to wide and macro - but I love the shot I got on that setting yesterday. Ok, it's not perfect, but this Liverpool skyline will forever remind me of a fantastic day on Formby beach with my girlfriend Lesley and the two dogs. We walked for two hours yesterday, watching young families taking photos in the sunshine, and in all of that time I saw .. two cameras! Everyone else was using their phone to capture their memories. Just holding up their iphone or android and capturing a digital memory that will .. well, will what? Be printed? Shoved on Facebook? Used as a screensaver? Who knows, but just don't ask Kodak! With everybody shooting digitally they've shut down their film division, and the end of the little yellow box is nigh. Scary times!

I had a conversation on Friday that was rather chilling, too, and it actually made me wonder if there'll be such a job title as Stills Photographer in a few years time. A couple of PR executives both said, in seperate conversations at a Networking Event, that they just had no need/demand/budget for Professional Stills Photography any more. (My bank balance can vouch for that, by the way!) However, photography is the only thing I know and, with my 34th anniversary as a photographer coming up this week, I'm starting to think (Hope!) that it'll stay the only thing I know. Jeepers! Who knows what's on the horizon?...



No comments:

Post a Comment