Tuesday 23 October 2012

I've seen the light..













Never used film? Never printed your own photographs? Then this blog's for you! It's for you if you think a test-strip is a trial nudist session. It's for you if the mention of red lights and enlargers makes you smirk and titter, and you think developer is something to give you a bigger bust! In short, it's for you if you've never worked in a darkroom! And all because of this fab photograph I found in my archive the other day. It's the make-shift darkroom I used to set up in the kitchen when I moved into a flat with my dad in 1977. Black plastic sheets over the window and the enlarger and tray of dev on the worktop, squeezed between the cooker and the sink, just beside the ironing board, the kettle and my work flask! Now those were the days! But don't knock it! It's from this 'darkroom' that I printed all the photographs I sold to the Eccles Journal when I was 17, which led to me getting my first job on Messenger Group Newspapers in '78. This is where it all started, folks! Now switch the bloody light off, I'm working...

No comments:

Post a Comment