Tuesday 31 July 2012

Better with age...













Had a cracking day at Peckforton Castle yesterday - the first Monday Wedding I've ever done - and despite a few spits and spots, as the weather forecasters now say, I was able to shoot all my pictures outside, apart from this requested one in what's known as The Wine Cellar. (I seem to remember ending up there around midnight on the day I was a 'guest' at my last Peckforton Wedding. Burp!) Anyway, I'm hard at the editing suite now, and then that's it until .. oooh, Saturday, when I'm zipping over the Peak District for a Wedding near Sheffield.

I did the first part of a Press Photography course at a college in Sheffield in 1980, and happened to bump into the current course leader last week. I asked him where the hell the students were going to get a job in these times of cutbacks and newspaper shut downs, and the best he could do was shrug and admit that he mostly teaches video these days, as most 'publications' are more concerned with getting short films online rather than photographs into hard print. Sigh! I used to love that rush down to the newsagents to buy a copy of the day's Manchester Evening News, flicking eagerly through the pages to see how many shots I'd got in (My record was 27 .. in one day!) A lot of those newspaper cuttings are still on my shelf, yellowing in their scrap books, and Lesley for one would have them down the recycling before I could say "Have you sorted my expenses?"

I refuse to let them go! Apart from their historical physical prescence as newspapers of days gone by, they're a fascinating reminder of styles, trends and habits that have changed so much in the space of only 34 years. Like the wine that used to be stored in that cellar, they just get better and better with age... 

No comments:

Post a Comment