Wednesday 14 March 2012

Mum, I'm Board!...


My new scanner was on course for melt-down yesterday after I spent the whole of Tuesday scanning a set of 120 negatives. In 1993 the country was in a recession, and the sad sight of scores of shut-up shops, offices, night-clubs, hospitals and pubs got me out onto the streets one Sunday morning to document the mess! I came up with a project called 'Boardom' - the mis-spelling is deliberate - which featured photographs of 12 boarded-up buildings, each with a copy of a Sunday newspaper pinned to them! To make it even more of a challenge to myself I shot only one frame of each subject on my old Yashicamat, and still have the uncut roll of film in my archive.

So, now we can look back 19 years. We eventually came out of the recession, and whilst some of the buildings got brand new leases of life others were demolished, never to be seen again. Hey, even some of the newspapers don't exist any more! News and Echo anyone? Hell, News of the World, for goodness sake!

Anyway, with the country yet again full of empty buildings, I thought now would be a good time to get these images out into the world, probably with a new set of 12 images from the current recession. I want somewhere to host this mini-exhibition, so if any of you have any suggestions I'd really love to hear them. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment