Friday 24 February 2012

Foreigner?...



















I know, another shot of a band on my blog, but stick with it! I was searching for an insurance policy in a box of old documents this morning, and came across an old diary from 1981 - the year I was 21 and working for the Warrington Guardian. It was a timely find because, yesterday, I was talking with a pal about going to gigs 'in the old days'. His son, it seems, was going to his second gig of the week last night. Second gig of the week! I only managed three in the whole of last year .. and one of them was an eighties' tribute night! Anyway, I started reading through this old diary, and in particular, the February of 1981. You would not believe the listings in there! In just that one month I went to 12 gigs and saw acts as varied as John Cooper Clarke, The Rezillos, Bad Manners, Discharge, OMD and the UK Subs. There was even U2 at Manchester Poly, and Duran Duran although, tellingly, I can't remember anything from that gig! I once photographed Devo - that's them in the picture! - in 1980, and remember the ticket cost me £4. When I went to see 'em more recently the same band cost me 40 quid! Anyway, the thing that shocked me most whilst looking through my history was a listing for Foreigner! Foreigner? I don't even like Foreigner, so why would I go and see 'em? Then it dawned on me! It wasn't a listing for the band, it was a booking to shoot for somebody other than the Warrington Guardian. It was a foreigner, not the Foreigner! Phew!...

No comments:

Post a Comment