Friday 16 December 2011

You're on your own..















It's a solitary life being a freelance photographer and, as much as I thrive on that responsibility, it's still nice to get the odd fillip every now and again! Well, this morning I got two!

I awoke to an email from tomorrow's bride, Sarah, who's sent me a list of all the shots she'd like me to take at her Wedding. It's all helpfully split into sections - shots before the ceremony, for example, and shots after the ceremony, and funny requests like 'try to catch the smokers under the gazebo'...! Well, I like the bit about the Ceremony itself. She's put " All yours - you know what you're doing!"

Alongside that was one of them there 'unsolicited testimonials'.. sent into Linkedin from a chap who used to be in charge of all the Apollo theatres in Manchester, where I used to cover a lot of the opening nights and dress rehearsals when I worked for the Manchester Evening News. He's written "Martin was always able to take the one everyone else wished was on their roll of film” 
I mean, how nice is that?

Now, today's photograph.. No, it's not me! It's another of my Olympus XA shots, taken at a retirement 'do' in some factory or other in Warrington. The chap's obviously volunteered his skills as a 'snapper' to record the event, but the picture sums up for me the difference between a photographer and someone who just owns a camera. He's not making anything happen at this event. In fact, if anything, he's being ignored. That's why it's so important to choose someone with a bit of personality when you choose your Wedding Photographer. Unfortunately, if you're just choosing by the cost, then these days you're not on your own...

No comments:

Post a Comment