Saturday 5 March 2011

Format PS...

More from Format in Derby...and a nice shot spotted in one of the swanky shop windows in the lovely Cathedral Quarter of town. Glad to see at least one of the traders getting into the swing of it! (He had a nice Nikkormat hanging off one of the other mannequins! Trip down memory lane!)
Have to say I'd never been to Derby before this trip, and I thought it was a great little place, with really friendly people!
Spent yesterday walking between the various venues that house the images, thus getting the added bonus of a walk around the confusingly named Silk Mill, which actually houses a fantastic collection of Rolls-Royce engines, including a full-size RB-211 Jet engine. Brought out the plane-spotter in me, it did! Met Peter Dench at the opening on Thursday evening, too...really good photographer and writer of the very amusing and frank Dench Diaries in Professional Photographer magazine. Bought him a glass of red..it's his round next time! Fave pictures from the whole thing I would have to say are the shots by Richard Kalvar, who is actually speaking in Derby as I type..Aaaagh! How did I miss that??...and the shots by Bahbak Hashemi-Nezhad, shown in the Deda Cafe.  I'm sure they've got to be set up...either that or the guy has the patience of a saint! I'd be happy to be corrected! All in all, a great event, and one not to be missed..and hey, I've not even been paid to say it!

 Finally, just a quick hello to another great guy I met on Thursday...Gabriel Thompson, one of the photographers with work on show. He's based in New York and we had a great time at the opening.
Now, I'm bloody keen on photography..you may have noticed!..but check out this guy's tattoos..

Now THAT'S keen !!

No comments:

Post a Comment