Friday 4 February 2011

Trouble with the wind!










I thought we'd talk about wind today! Not that kind..the gale force stuff that's been whipping round the country. Fortunately it's not the terrible kind like the Australian cyclone, so we can smile at this nice tale!  When I was laid off from the Warrington Guardian, it was a real hard time as I couldn't afford a car to get me  'on the road' to freelancing. I ended up with one camera and a bicycle! One windy day, a lorry blew over on the M62 high-level bridge, close to where I used to live. From my window I could see the traffic backing up, and eventually the motorway was closed, as the lorry was causing too much of a blockage.
I grabbed my one camera, (Yashica FR 1, if you're interested, with a 35mm lens!), and got on my bike. Eventually, headlong into the gusty gale, I cycled right to the top of the flyover. A policeman watched my progress. When I reached him he said "I've watched you cycle all the way up..I haven't the heart to send you back!" So, I got my shots, and headed back to the Manchester Evening News with my film. Two shots in that night's paper and a satisfying glow of a press job well done. But the really best bit?  Cycling down the flyover with the wind at my back! Felt like 100 miles an hour!

No comments:

Post a Comment