Monday 6 December 2010

Corrie for the Nation...




















Eeeeeh, Annie..have you heard what's happened on't street?
50 years of Corrie, eh? I celebrated my own half a century this year too, and all I can say is I'm glad I didn't get a bloody tram dropped on me 'ead!
Here's Annie Walker and Bet Lynch, aka Doris Speed and Julie Goodyear, getting down to a good old chin-wag and a fag at some 'do' or other in Manchester back in the day. Working for the Manchester Evening News, I got to meet a whole lot of the actors, and often went to Granada TV for photo-calls and promotions. I once shot a 'real' Wedding for OK! Magazine where many of the cast were invited. I set up a studio in a room at the V&A hotel (as it was), and the actors were grabbed and yanked upstairs for their photoshoots by a poor, hassled OK! lacky. Shoot over, I dismantled the 'studio', and slept in the room. When I checked out I got charged a fortune for 'emptying' the mini-bar. The lovvies from The Street had all helped themselves to the costly booze when they got to my room!! Have to say though, that the cast were, on the whole, a really great bunch of lovely people, although I remember Jean Alexander moaning at me once for wearing a Hilda Ogden T-Shirt! (Still got it, Jean..you're a legend!)
Happy Birthday, Corrie...see you at 100 !

No comments:

Post a Comment