Friday 19 July 2024

Shocking ..


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

This Microsoft 'outage' has been a bit of a hoo-ha, hasn't it? (I genuinely thought the letter 'r' had been dropped from the word when I saw it as a TV sub-title.) Planes grounded, Sky News up the swannee. I hope you aren't stuck in an airport or trying to pay for your weekly shop at Morrison's ..

It's yet another reminder that the world we live in is made of fluff and electricity. There's nothing really THERE! Only last week I blogged about the joy kids today must feel when they load a 'real' film into a camera or put a 'real' record onto a turntable. Physical, tangible stuff that you can touch and feel and hold. Stuff that's THERE!..

As I sit here my desk is half taken over with a large pile of negatives. Stuff to scan, stuff to digitize (ho-ho!), but at least it's HERE in front of me and I know where it goes when I've finished with it. Whereas almost every photograph I've ever taken since the early 2000s is .. er .. in boring external hard discs in a case in a shed, or in this flat, rectangular glowing box that hums in front of me. What on earth will I do when I can't afford to pay for electricity? Shocking ..

Ps .. I hope you can actually read this!!     

 

No comments:

Post a Comment