Monday 24 June 2019

The Paris Air No-Show











Regular readers of this blog - hello, both of you - will know I always try to make the annual pilgrimage to RIAT, the big RAF Air Show in Gloucestershire. This year - seeing as I now live in France - I decided I'd go to the Paris Air Show instead.
Big mistake! It was rubbish ..

I feel such a sense of anti-climax this morning, having returned home yesterday utterly disappointed with what would normally be a highlight of my year. The show, at Le Bourget airfield, is not a patch on RIAT and I can only console myself with the knowledge that I now never need bother with Paris ever again. I know it's mainly a trade show but I didn't realise just how much of it is actually given over to the business of selling aircraft and parts. Any actually flying displays are almost just chucked in as an after-thought. And that's if you can find a space to actually see the flying. It was a bit of a Paris Air No-Show, really. The crowds were horrendous and the space given over to viewing the displays was pathetically small. I think this shot sums it up. Having made their way to the outskirts of Paris, all these people could do was watch the aerobatics on a big screen. A bit pointless, really ..

Oh RIAT, I'm sorry. I'll be back next year, I promise ..        

No comments:

Post a Comment