Wednesday 24 September 2014

Cough up, Mother ..



















Well, I've never done that before! I had to send my Mum an invoice last week! She's a pretty big big-wig on some steering committee for her Housing Association, and they're planning a launch 'do' to mark the completion of years of upgrades to their buildings. Anyway, the flats are near the Manchester Ship Canal in Eccles, just across the water from where you'd have been able to see this sight up to 30 years ago, so they've asked if they could use this image for their publicity poster. Naturally, for Mumsy, I was only too happy to help, but even more so when I found out that her committee was going to pay for the use of it. (She did cough up, too .. so I've not had to send in the Big Boys .. ho ho!!) ..

The picture is actually of Barton Power Station and the Bridgewater Canal at the point where it magically crosses over the Manchester Ship Canal via an aquaduct. You can just see it, swung open, with the criss-cross beams and white girders. It'll probably be one of the shots I show in my forthcoming 'Eccles' exhibition at the People's History Museum in Manchester. I've just realised I have less than a week to prepare some schpiel and choose a couple of representative photographs for the pre-publicity bumf! I'd better get a move on!

Bumf? Schpiel? Have I ever written those words in my blog before? And are they spelt correctly? Damn it, they're close enough for me ..


No comments:

Post a Comment