Tuesday 15 July 2014

Sleep well ..









Ok, so when I said I'd photographed an Apache helicopter raid .. it was, of course, at the Royal International Air Tattoo at RAF Fairford in Gloucestershire! Well, you didn't think I'd gone to Afghanistan or anything, did you? Heck, I had a Wedding on the Saturday. Who's got time to go covering wars?..

Still amazes me, though, that people .. quite a lot of people .. spend over forty quid, travel to a super-large airfield in the middle of nowhere and .. go to sleep! The snoozer in the montage was shot in the middle of the Red Arrows display, and I've got shots of a man lying zonked out as the Tornado did its stuff, two women fast asleep during the Typhoon display and even a guy reading his Kindle as an F16 went through its paces!..

Still, I'm only jealous! I was somehow talked into camping overnight on the evening before the show - the first night I've spent 'under canvas' since 1976 - and the trouble was, we managed to pitch the tents right next to the noisiest snoring I have ever heard!! Nine hours solid of snorky, rasping grunts! So, for me .. Sleep? At an air-show? Oh, if only!..

No comments:

Post a Comment