Tuesday 19 April 2011

Gizza job...















I'm not giving away any trade secrets here when I say that times are hard in the wonderful world of PR Photography. The amount I do has certainly gone down a lot since 'the good old days!'
Digital photography, of course, has an awful lot to do with that, and I've had two great examples of that already this week.
A friend of mine runs his own PR company, but cannot convince his clients to spend money on photography these days. Why should they, when they own a digital camera? - is their view! They can simply 'snap' away until a useable image appears, and use that for their press purposes. The example he forwarded to me yesterday, though, brought tears to me eyes. It was awful! I won't go into detail, but let's just say that everything I wouldn't do as a Pro has been done on this shot, and now my friend has got to try to convince the local press to use it! If they don't, of course, that will reflect badly on his own PR skills. God, I wish I could show it to you!
The second example came from chatting with a keen amateur photographer friend of mine. He's somehow ended up shooting for a national organisation's website, and he's rightly chuffed to bits about that! He got two hours' work and the prospect of one of his images being seen across the country. Only problem is, he only charged them £40! Imagine a national company ripping off a guy for just £40.
It's no wonder the image of professional photography is nose-diving!

Anyway, it's spurred me to send out another mail-shot today, featuring a shot I had published as a magazine's double-page spread. Got paid more than forty quid, too! Rant over!

No comments:

Post a Comment