Thursday 4 November 2010

Division of Time















I've just picked up my copy of Kevin Cummins new book on Joy Division, and a good little piece of work it is. I'd love to have had access to the band like he did. After all, I only photographed one gig of theirs..he was actually with them for quite some time.
He admits, though, that he wasn't rushed to add new shots to his collection...he'd have time again to shoot them in the future. Of course, there was no more time for Joy Division..no future, and the rest is history.

That is the incredible thing about photography and photographers. We're always looking to the future..to get on in our careers, to make great work, to plan projects, book assignments..and all to capture history! For no sooner do we take a shot than it is already 'in the past'...gone, a memory.

I apply that to my Wedding Photography, and shoot as much as I can at all times.
(Hey, thank God for digital!).
That split second of the bride's nerves at the church door...two frames..and it's gone. That fleeting touch of hands as the couple sign the register..click..gone. Let's hope the paranoia and fear of photographing on the streets doesn't mean big chunks of our history are gone, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment