Sunday 21 April 2024

Natural flare ..


 

 

 

 

 

 

The other day I did something I haven't done in a long time .. I bought a new lens. (Ok, it was second-hand, but my 300mm telephoto has needed replacing for ages.) And then, last night, I did something I have never done before. I photographed a solar flare! Back at the computer after pointing my 'new' lens at the sunset, my curiosity was aroused by an odd 'sticky-out bit' at the edge of the sun. For confirmation I sent the shot to a pal of mine, an astro-photographer who works with Herstmonceux Observatory in East Sussex. He muttered something scientific about Hydrogen Alpha and then said "Brilliant!" and sent me a big smiley face emoji. There's always talk of 'luck' in photography, and I certainly got my fair share last night. You could say I have a 'flare' for it!  

No comments:

Post a Comment