Tuesday 26 March 2024

You're twistin' me melon, man ..


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

To a certain generation, the word Manchester meant "The Haçienda" and if you mentioned the name they'd stick their tongue out and look at you like you were going to throw them an 'E'. The club was a major part of the city's landscape in the 1980s and 90s but, not being into the 'Madchester' scene, (You're twistin' me melon, man!) I only went there every now and again for a pint or to see a band. I remember my pal Chris ringing me up once and asking if I fancied going there to see 'some girl called Madonna'. "Never heard of her", I said, and we gave up the chance to see an up and coming Madge and probably went to stare at girls that were far above our pay-rate at Placemate 7 instead. I do remember going to see The Gun Club there, and The Eurythmics with Blondie's Clem Burke on drums, and having pints in the ever-so-unspacious 'Gay Traitor' bar down the stairs, but that's about it. Even despite the Joy Division connection, it just wasn't a place I bothered with ..

Nice though, to stumble upon a couple of transparencies I shot there when I was commissioned by the (now-defunct) Sabena Airlines in-flight magazine. Not many people on the dance floor so I'm guessing it was a wet Wednesday in March, but who's to say? Lovely memory, all the same ..

No comments:

Post a Comment